The Many Benefits of Berberine
Berberine is a medicinal compound found in barberry (and other plants).
- Best known for treating metabolic syndrome.
- Lowers blood sugar: in patients with type 2 diabetes, fasting blood sugar down 26%, and HbA1c down 18%.
- 18% reduction in triglycerides.
- Effectively lowers blood pressure.
- Most recently studied for its effects against cancer. Reduced lung cancer cell replication by up to 30%.
- Decreased the activity of proteins that stimulate cancer spread by 50%.
- In a previous study, berberine reduced lung cancer tumor size by 74% (animal model of non-small cell lung cancer).
How to Use Berberine: The standard dosage is 500 mg, 3 times daily.
- Limited absorption/poor bioavailability.
- Poor water solubility.
For enhanced effects, use 250 mg berberine combined with gamma cyclodextrin.
Berberine with a gamma cyclodextrin formulation showed double the effects versus standard berberine (cell study – effect on cancer cells).