Prep Time30 Minutes
Cook Time90 Minutes
Servings6 - 8
Crispy on top yet creamy and tender inside, this healthy version of a family favorite is both grain free and dairy-free. Find both the ghee and the cassava flour online or in most natural markets.
- 3 pounds organic russet potatoes
- ¼ cup ghee
- ¼ cup cassava flour
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- ½ tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup chives, minced
- Preheat oven to 325°F & grease a 13×9 pan with ghee. Set aside.
- Slice potatoes thinly using a food processor (or use a mandolin set over a large bowl).
- In a small saucepan over medium heat combine the ghee and cassava flour until well-blended and thick. Cook 1 minute, stirring continually. Slowly add in the water and almond milk. Whisk until smooth and thick, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add in the garlic powder, salt, thyme, rosemary, & pepper. Whisk again to mix. Taste. Adjust seasoning if needed and remove from the heat. Mixture should be thick, but pourable.
- Add a thin layer of the cream sauce to the bottom of the pan & top with a layer of potatoes. Spread a layer of sauce over the potatoes. Continue layering until all the potatoes have been used & top with the remaining sauce.
- Cover with foil and bake 45 minutes. Remove the foil & bake an additional 40-45 minutes or until the top has browned & the potatoes are tender. Sprinkle top with chives.