SAUSAGE-CRANBERRY MUSHROOM BITES
Prep Time20 Minutes
Cook Time25 Minutes
Servings10 - 15
These stuffed mushrooms are the perfect nutrient dense appetizer for your next get-together. The mushrooms boast a healthy dose of the B vitamins plus vitamin D, while the apples, cranberries, and leeks are packed with polyphenols. Plus, each mushroom provides a bit of protein and good-for-you fats, all in a delicious bite-size package!
- 30 baby bella mushrooms, cleaned and stems removed
- 8 oz. organic or pasture raised chicken sausage, crumbled
- ½ cup apples, peeled, cored, and finely diced
- ¼ cup leeks, white part only, finely diced
- ¼ cup pecans, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil
- ¼ cup dried cranberries, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage, finely chopped
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a rimmed baking sheet.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of avocado oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add sausage to the pan and cook for about 5 minutes, breaking up the meat until finely crumbled.
- Stir in the apples, leeks, and pecans, cooking for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and transfer the mixture to a large bowl. Add the cranberries, sage, and beaten eggs. Mix well.
- In a small bowl, mix the remaining tablespoon of oil with the minced garlic. Place the mushrooms, upside down, on the baking sheet and brush with the garlic oil.
- Spoon the sausage mixture into each mushroom cap and bake for 25 minutes or until the mushrooms are browned. Serve immediately.