PERFECT POT ROAST
Prep Time20 Minutes
Cook Time4 - 5 Hours
Bursting with seasonal veggies, this beefy dish is guaranteed to warm you. A side of mashed cauliflower is a perfect addition to catch the rich gravy.
- 4 pounds boneless, grass-fed chuck roast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 5 cups beef broth
- 2 onions, quartered
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 4 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons ghee or pastured butter
- 2 tablespoons tapioca flour
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Pat the meat dry, then season with salt.
- Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven, then add the meat and sear on all sides.
- Remove the meat and set aside.
- Add the garlic, tomato paste, pepper, and ½ cup of beef broth to the Dutch oven. Scrape any bits from the bottom of the pot. Add the onions, carrots, and parsnips, then place the meat on top of the vegetables.
- Pour the remaining broth over the meat and add the thyme, rosemary, and bay leaf.
- Cover the Dutch oven and place in the oven for 4-5 hours, or until the meat easily falls apart.
- Carefully remove the meat and vegetables to a platter and tent with foil to keep warm.
- For the gravy, remove the herbs and pour the remaining liquid into a fat separator. Once the fat settles, pour the beef liquid into a measuring cup. Discard the fat.
- Melt the ghee in a medium saucepan. Gradually add the tapioca flour, whisking until smooth. While whisking constantly, slowly add the beef liquid. Cook until the gravy has thickened. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve with the pot roast.