LOADED MASHED CALIFLOWER
Prep Time15 Minutes
Cook Time20 Minutes
This side dish seems so decadent, you’d never guess it was healthy! Cauliflower is a fiber rich member of the cruciferous family and it’s high in vitamins B6, C, K, choline, folate, and magnesium. But, despite its nutrient-dense profile, the addition of cheese and bacon will make it a family favorite—even among your vegetable-hating holiday guests.
- 2½ heads of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 9 slices of sugar-free bacon, diced
- 2½ tablespoons ghee or pastured butter
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Place the cauliflower in a large pot and fill with enough water to cover the florets. Cover and bring to a boil. Cook for 15 minutes or until the cauliflower is very soft.
- Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a skillet over medium heat. When crisp, remove to a paper towel-lined plate. Set aside.
- Combine all the herbs, salt, and pepper in a small bowl.
- Once the cauliflower is cooked, drain all of the water from the pot.
- With the heat set on low, mash the cauliflower with a potato masher (not a stick blender).
- Add the ghee or butter, the herb mix, the cheese, and the diced bacon. Stir to mix well.
- Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with additional chives or bacon. Serve immediately.