Prep Time15 Minutes
Cook Time30 Minutes
Is your backyard vegetable garden overflowing with tomatoes and zucchini? Put that excess produce to work by stuffing it into juicy chicken breasts for a celebration of summer.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 zucchini, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced into half-moons
- 3 medium tomatoes, halved and thinly sliced into half-moons
- 2 yellow bell peppers, thinly sliced
- ½ onion, thinly sliced into half-moons
- 20 fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400° Using a sharp knife, cut four horizontal slits into each chicken breast, being careful not to slice all the way through the breast.
- Stack one slice each of zucchini, tomato, pepper, and onion, along with one basil leaf then tuck the veggie stack into each slit. Repeat with the other breasts.
- Place the stuffed breasts in a 9” x 13” glass baking dish. Drizzle with oil and season with the Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Sprinkle with the mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until the chicken registers 165° F on an instant-read thermometer. Garnish with a bit of freshly-chopped parsley and serve immediately.