Prep Time20 Minutes
Cook Time2.5 Hours
If you’re craving tacos or burritos, this is the perfect recipe for you! You can easily make your barbacoa even healthier by ditching the tortillas in favor of homemade taco lettuce cups or grain-free burrito bowls.
- 2 pounds grass-fed, boneless beef chuck roast, cut into 4-inch pieces
- ½ teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans fire-roasted, diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups beef bone broth
- 2 cups califlower rice, cooked
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 limes, quartered
- 2 avocados, pitted, peeled, and diced
- Combine the beef, spices in large bowl. Toss to combine well.
- Melt the coconut oil in a large Dutch oven. Brown the beef in batches, removing them to a plate until all the beef has been seared.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add a bit more coconut oil if the pan appears dry. Add the onions and garlic, cook until the onions are translucent. Stir in the tomatoes and vinegar and bring to a slight boil.
- Return the beef to the pot, stirring to cover with the liquid. Reduce the heat to simmer. Cover and cook for 2.5 hours, checking periodically and adding a bit of water if needed.
- Once the beef is tender enough to fall apart, carefully remove it to a cutting board. Cool slightly, then using two forks, shred it.
- Meanwhile, bring the remaining liquid to a boil and reduce by half. Using a stick blender, puree the liquid. Return the shredded beef to the pot and stir to combine.
- Serve immediately with cilantro, lime, and avocado.